Plymouth university map pdf settlement was founded in 1686. This interchange contributes to regional commerce and was a major driver for business and retail development.
May 1778, the Plymouth Friends Meetinghouse served as a temporary military hospital. The next morning the British arrived with a massive force of 16,000, and tried to cut off any escape route. Lafayette instead took advantage of the Americans’ knowledge of local roads, and escaped with minimal casualties. Plymouth Meeting House is the name of a village situated at the intersection of the Plymouth and Perkiomen turnpikes, on the township line. Whitemarsh two stores, a blacksmith and wheelwright shop, post office and twenty-four houses.
The houses in this village are chiefly situated along the Perkiomen or Reading pike, nearly adjoining one another, and being of stone, neatly white washed, with shady yards in front, present to the stranger and agreeable appearance. In the basement of the Library building the Methodists hold worship. This is an ancient settlement, whose history dates back nearly to the arrival of William Penn, and is marked as a village on Lewis Evans’ map of 1749. The post office was established here before 1827. In 1832 there were but ten houses here.
Butler Pike, north of Germantown Pike. Slave holding was condemned by the Society of Friends in 1754. Few slaves were held in Plymouth Township, and only one remained by 1830. It allowed slavecatchers to pursue a fugitive across state lines into every U.
Hovenden, Hovenden was best known for painting realistic scenes taken out of American life as he experienced it in the farmlands of Plymouth Meeting. 1886 after the latter was forced to resign for inappropriate use of nude models. Plymouth Meeting Mall, high-rise and garden apartment complexes, industries and office buildings. Pike was ordered laid out by the Provincial Government in 1687 as a “cart road” from Philadelphia to Plymouth Meeting. In the early 19th century the Hickorytown Hotel, on Germantown Pike opposite Hickory Road, was a prominent road house. In 1806 it was kept by Frederick Dull and in 1825, Jacob Hart.
In the beginning of the 19th century it was a training place for the 36th Regiment of the Pennsylvania Militia and the Second Battalion of Montgomery County. The Friendship Company for the Protection against Horse Stealing was organized there in 1807. Township elections were held there, and a post office was established there in May 1857. The Plymouth Meeting Post Office appears to have been established sometime prior to 1827. In 1754, Benjamin Davis received a license to keep an inn on Ridge Pike at Plymouth Creek. This inn, the Seven Stars, was shown on maps as early as 1759.
The inn was demolished in 1975 to make way for the Midcounty Expressway. Early records indicate that one person was elected as “road supervisor” and tax collector. The roads were mostly dirt, and repair and maintenance was often auctioned off to the lowest bidder, usually a farmer who had large properties and kept many men and horses, and the smaller farmers worked on the roads for them. Tax records show that many taxpayers worked out their taxes on the roads.
From 1846 to 1854 the road supervisor was paid one dollar per day for his work as supervisor and collector of taxes. Hickorytown Forge operated by the Wood family, and a forerunner of the present Alan Wood Steel Company. The name Plymouth Furnace appears in the records about 1847 and was engaged in the manufacture of nails. The company purchased the property of Colwell Furnace, which is located just west of the present Colwell Lane adjoining the development known as Farmview Village. The line was abandoned by the 1970s.
Plymouth Township and commenced operation in 1835. Manayunk Norristown passenger train line. Pennsylvania Railroad was built in 1891. Later in the 1890s electric trolley lines were built through Plymouth Meeting. The trolleys that ran on the shoulder of Germantown Pike connected Chestnut Hill and Norristown. Dinkey passengers transferred to Conshohocken-bound trolleys at the corner of Ridge Pike and Butler Pike.
And has been held regularly since 1823. Manayunk Norristown passenger train line. Established under the system authorized by the legislature in 1834, and a post office was established there in May 1857. For every 100 females age 18 and over, flying boats operated from Mount Batten. Plymothian Parliamentary leanings and to train the armed forces.